Recipe type: Bread
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
- ⅓ to ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- (sprinkle of mace, if desired)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- Mix butter and sugar well.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Combine buttermilk and soda, and stir into sugar-egg mixture.
- Add cornmeal, flour and salt, (mace, if used) stirring until just blended.
- Pour into greased 8” square pan and bake at 375⁰ for about 30 minutes, or until it begins to pull away from pan.
- Reduce heat to 350º for glass pan.
Increase recipe by 50% for a 9 x 13 pan.