Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This is from the Chefs Table restaurant in Provo, UT.
Recipe type: Soup
For the Roasted Vegetables
- 1 (1½ pound) butternut squash, peeled seeded and rough chopped
- ½-¾ lbs. of Sweet potatoes, roasted with squash but not with the cumin
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in ½, lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ancho chili powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. sage
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp.extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Italian sausage, removed from the casing
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- ½ cup small dice celery (approximately 2 stalks of celery)
- ½ cup small dice leeks (approximately 1 large leek)
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 Tbsp. ground sage
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ¼ lb. salted butter
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425⁰ F.
- Place the chopped squash in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine olive oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, sage, salt and pepper.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place the squash on top of the sheet pan, pour olive oil mixture over squash, make sure it is all coated well.
- Set the sheet pan into the oven and roast for 30 minutes, or until the squash is lightly caramelized and tender.
- Add sweet potatoes and carrots to the sheet pan- drizzle oil over them, but no spices.
- Remove the squash from the oven and set aside.
- Place a 1-gallon saucepan over medium high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the sausage to the pan.
- Cook, stirring often until the meat is brown on the outside and has released most of its fat, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and leeks in the pan and sweat, stirring often for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and sweat for 1 minute.
- De-glaze the pan with the brandy, scraping all the cooked bits off the pan.
- Add the roasted vegetables, maple syrup and sage, stir to combine with the onion and celery, then add chicken stock.
- Bring the pan to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Continue to cook the soup for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to a smooth consistency and velvety texture.
- (Alternately, you can puree the soup in batches using a blender).
- Add the whipping cream, butter and fresh sage- taste the soup and re-season if necessary with ½ teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Keep warm until serving.