Boston Brown Bread
Recipe type: Quick Bread
Serves: 4 loaves
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup stirred whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup dark molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 cup raisins
- Sift all-purpose flour with baking powder, soda, and salt; stir in cornmeal and whole wheat flour.
- Add remaining ingredients; beat well.
- Divide batter among 4 greased and floured 1-pound food cans.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Place on rack in deep kettle; pour in boiling water to 1-inch depth.
- Cover kettle; steam 3 hours, adding more boiling water if needed.
- Uncover cans; place in very hot oven (450⁰) for 5 minutes.
- Remove bread from cans.
- Cool on rack.
- Wrap and store overnight.
You can cook this in a bundt pan for and interesting look.