This was posted by IKEA in April 2020 at https://www.today.com/food/ikea-shares-recipe-swedish-meatballs-make-during-quarantine-t179469
Recipe type: Main
- 500 grams beef mince (about 1 pound ground beef)
- 250 grams pork mince (½ pound ground pork)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100 grams breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp. whole milk
- Generous salt and pepper
- Cream Sauce:
- Dash of oil
- 40 grams butter (2½ Tbsp. butter)
- 40 grams plain flour (⅓ cup flour)
- 150 milliliters vegetable stock (⅔ cup vegetable stock)
- 150 milliliters beef stock (⅔ cup beef stock)
- 150 milliliters thick double cream (⅔ cup double cream or whipping cream)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine beef and pork mince and mix with your fingers to break up any lumps.
- Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix.
- Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into small, round balls.
- Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for two hours (this will help them hold their shape while cooking).
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- When hot, gently add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover.
- Place in a hot oven (180⁰ Celsius conventional — about 356⁰ Fahrenheit — or 160⁰ Celsius fan, or 320⁰ Fahrenheit) and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Iconic Swedish cream sauce:
- Melt 40 grams of butter in a pan.
- Whisk in 40 grams of plain flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add 150 milliliters of vegetable stock and 150 milliliters of beef stock and continue to stir.
- Add 150 milliliters double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Bring it to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
- When ready to eat, serve with your favorite potatoes — either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes. Enjoy!