This is Jon's Mom's crescent roll recipe.
Author: Grandma Rodeback
Recipe type: Bread
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 packets of yeast
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) margarine or butter
- 1 beaten egg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups flour
- Combine water and yeast in a small bowl and let sit.
- Scald milk on low to medium heat until it steams and feels hot.
- Turn off heat.
- Cut margarine into the milk and stir until melted.
- Cool until lukewarm.
- Add water and yeast to the milk mixture.
- Add beaten egg.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and 2 cups flour.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and beat to death 'til stringy.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Gradually add up to 2 more cups of flour until the dough is right, but not stiff.
- The dough should be a little sticky, but not stiff.
- Mix until all dry flour is gone plus 25 strokes.
- Chill in refrigerator, preferably overnight.
- Pull out of fridge, divide in half, and put half back in the fridge while you work on the first one.
- Work quickly while dough is cold.
- Roll out in large circle with lots of flour.
- Cut into triangles and roll up, starting at the big end to make crescents.
- Cover the pan and let rise for one hour.
- Bake at 325⁰ for 10 minutes and 350⁰ for 10 minutes more.