Easy Cream Potatoes and Peas
OK guys—this is a one pan version that uses a little help from the store. I actually got the idea from the Swedish Cookbook Becky brought me from her trip there with Grandma.
Recipe type: Side
- Onion, chopped (optional)
- Country-style hash browns
- Heat some butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Add a bag of country-style hash browns, the same kind used in Funeral Potatoes, and cook over medium heat.
- Once the potatoes are mostly thawed and start cooking, add frozen peas and about ½ cup to 1 cup of cream/milk, and cook gently until done.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- You'll use less milk than you would cream.
- I like to mix the two, add a couple of splashes of cream and then milk to get the right consistency.
- You can also add extra butter for the creamy flavor.
- I also like to add onion, just before putting the potatoes in.
- Any will work, red, white, yellow or green.
- Fresh chives as a garnish is also lovely.
As you can see, it's more about the method than the exact recipe. Also, Mindy, you could add bacon to this. In fact, it might be tasty to fry the bacon first, and use the grease to fry the spuds. The original Swedish version I think had anchovies in it. Anybody game to try that one?