Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 lb pork roast (picnic/shoulder/butt is ideal)
- 2 cans green chiles
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or fresh is fine, too)
- Slow cook a pork roast either in the oven at 250⁰ or a crockpot until stringy (several hours or overnight).
- Let cool, and then shred.
- (This is the method my roommate from AZ did it.)
- Cut pork into cubes, (you can use chops or loin roast.)
- Brown if desired, (best if serving as stew).
- Sauté some onion (chopped) and some garlic (minced).
- Combine meat and veggies together, if you didn't brown the meat, or you shredded yours, and add tomatoes, chiles, and spices.
- Simmer over low heat until heated through, if using shredded pork, about 20-30 minutes.
- If using the cubes I would plan on an hour or more, depending on how well done you like your meat.
- You can just dump everything into a crockpot and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 on low, using the cubed meat, or longer if using a whole roast, as above.
If you want this to be more verde, add tomatillos instead of the tomatoes. (Jenny)