Classic Almond Biscotti
Recipe type: Quick Bread
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 10 Tbsp. (1¼ sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. almond extract
- 1 cup almond slices, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until it’s well combined. Mix in almonds.
- Divide the dough in half. Get some flour on your hands and shape each dough portion into a 13” x 3” x 1½ inch thick log. Transfer both logs to the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. *They don’t expand much, so it’s ok if the logs are very close to the edge of the baking sheet.
- Bake the logs until they’re golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the logs completely on the sheet on a wire rack, about 30 minutes. Keep your oven on.
- Transfer the cooled logs to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife and cut logs into ½-inch-wide slices. Arrange the slices cut side down on the same baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and continue baking about 10-12 more minutes, just until they’re starting to get some color. Transfer the biscotti to a wire rack and cool. They’ll harden even more as they cool.
- Store on the counter for up to 1 week. Or store them in the freezer in a plastic baggy for months.