This sauce is the original recipe from Aunt Wendy.
Recipe type: Main
- ⅓ cup oil
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 can broth, plus water to get correct consistency.
- Salt, garlic, oregano, and cumin to taste.
2 lbs. your choice of meat
Queso blanco or queso fresco cheese
- Heat oil and add chili powder.
- Cook for a moment, watching carefully so that it doesn't burn, then add flour.
- Stir until smooth, and add the broth and necessary water to make a smooth sauce.
- Add seasonings to taste. (A little goes a long way.)
- Assemble the enchiladas, using meat, cheese, onions, etc. of choice, and either the layered method or the rolled method.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350⁰ for 20 to 30 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.