Applesauce Brownie Squares
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 1¼ tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- Melt together butter and chocolate in small saucepan over low heat. Add sugar, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt until evenly combined. Add to chocolate mixture; beat well. Pour batter into greased 8-inch square pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake in 350⁰ oven 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool; cut into squares. Yield 16
Multiply all the ingredients 1½ times to bake in a 9” x 13” pan.