Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes
Recipe is from Gourmetmemoirs.com, but it looks super close to the recipe Mom had a million years ago.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup buttermilk (or ¾ cup milk with ½ Tbsp. apple cider vinegar)
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2½ Tbsp. brown sugar
- To the dry ingredients, add:
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup milk
- Set a griddle or skillet to medium-low and allow to heat while you prepare the batter
- In a large enough liquid measuring cup, mix the oats and buttermilk.
- Let oats soak while you prepare the rest of the batter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and brown sugar.
- To the dry ingredients, add the egg, butter, pumpkin, milk, and the oatmeal/milk mixture.
- Mix batter well
- Using a ¼ cup dry measuring cup, pour ¼ cup of the batter at a time onto heated griddle or skillets
- Allow to cook until edges start to firm and a few bubbles appear on the top
- Gently flip pancake over and cook other side until cooked through, about 1-2 minutes
- Serve immediately or keep warm until ready to serve (I keep mine in a Styrofoam tortilla warmer that keeps them very warm until everyone in the house gets out of bed)
- Top with your favorite toppings—we topped ours with a bit of maple syrup, whipped cream, and chopped pecans